(This list will continue to update throughout the shutdown! Check back for more!)
Storytimes & Reading
- Audible Stories (link) is offering free audiobooks from the littlest listeners all the way up to teens while the schools are shut down
- The Graveyard Book & Coraline (link) by Neil Gaiman. The Graveyard Book is a Newbery Award winner
- Levar Burton Reads (link) A podcast from Levar Burton of Reading Rainbow Fame reading his favorite short stories (for teens and adults)
- SciShow (link) A Youtube channel devoted to teaching all things science!
- SciShow Space (link) A Youtube channel from the SciShow team all about Space
- Shedd Aquarium Youtube (link) and Twitter (link) showing animal enrichment and exploring penguins!
- The Field Museum (link)
- Smithsonian Zoo Panda Cam (link)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Jellyfish (link)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Sharks (link)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Moon Jellies (link)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live African Penguins (link)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Aviary (link)
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Gardens Home Safari (link)
- The Louvre (link)
- The Smithsonian Institute (link)
- The British Museum (link)
- The Guggenheim (link)
- National Gallery of Art (link)
- J Paul Getty Museum (link)
- Musée D’Orsay (link)
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Seoul (link)
- Pergamon Museum, Berlin (link)
- Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam (link)
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence (link)
- The Museu de Arte de São Paulo (link)
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City (link)
- John F Kennedy Center Digital Stage (link) The Kennedy Center is providing free videos to a variety of performances.
Just for Fun
- Hogwarts Digital Escape Room (link) This escape experience was created by Sydney Krawiec, Youth Services Librarian at Peters Township Public Library in McMurray, PA.
- Alice in Wonderland Digital Escape Room (link) This escape room was created by Erin Honeycutt, Children’s Librarian at Moultrie-Colquitt County Library System in Moultrie, Georgia.
- Chef Massimo Bottura (link) is offering free cooking lessons on his personal Instagram
- The Kitchn’s Cooking School (link) The Kitchn’s Cooking School is a 20-day, 20-lesson program where students tackle an essential cooking topic each day. You’ll even have homework!
- Food Techniques (link) BBC has a nice selection of cooking videos for people with a variety of skill levels. Don’t know how to cut an onion? There’s a class for that. But there are also classes on advanced techniques.
- Cooking with The New York Times (link) One of America’s most popular newspapers, The New York Times, has an online cooking school with video lessons.
- Dinner Tonight (link) Texas A&M has a variety of classes to teach students to make quick and healthy dinners.
- Kitchen Chemistry (link) Most people associate MIT with building those intense robots that rip each other apart in a ring, but MIT also posts online versions of real classes, including one called Kitchen Chemistry.
- Delia Online Cookery School (link) Delia Online features a host of cooking technique articles of varying levels of difficulty. Each lesson has step-by-step instructions with photos.
- Better Homes and Gardens How to Cook (link) Learn the basics in the cooking classes at Better Homes and Gardens.
- TED Talks (link) Short, powerful talks about big ideas.
- Crash Course (link) Educational videos on a variety of subjects by brothers/authors Hank and John Green
- Myths & Legends (link) A podcast from Jason Weiser retelling Myths and Legends from all over the globe (warning: Sometimes these legends are violent!)
- Khan Academy (link) Khan Academy offers exercises, quizzes, and tests so students can practice and master skills, as well as instructional videos to help students learn or review material. They’re also doing social media livestreams!
- Duolingo (link) Duolingo offers free language learning lessons from dozens of languages.